In Minnesota, there is no such thing as a dry basement. Here are some tips from our experts on how to deal with a flooded basement.
Don't enter your flooded basements until experts tell you the area is safe.
- Turn off the power to the home if possible.
- Get your fans & dehumidifiers out and drying! This process takes about 3 to 4 days to fully dry out a spot in your basement.
- If you have carpet in your basement, pull the padding out from under the carpets. They will most likely be wet and they are hard to dry out.
- Get rid of water.
- Move items that you can out of your basement. If you cannot easily move the furniture (like a couch) put something underneath it to try and get it out of the water, like 2X4s or styrofoam blocks. Furniture that sits in water will be permanently damaged.
- Assess the damage. If this is a larger flood, and 2 to 3 rooms are damaged, then you should call your insurance agent right away. If the damage looks like it will be more than your deductible, then you will most likely need to hire a restoration company.
- Shut off your home’s power. There could be electrical wires in the water level. When in doubt, stay out of your basement!
- Call a certified mold remediation company right away if you spot mold, don’t try to remove it yourself! Disturbing mold is dangerous.
The best way to avoid moisture in your home is prevention. Most basements have some sort of moisture or dampness, but this can be monitored and contained in a few simple steps.
Tips to prevent moisture in your basement:
- Get a good humidifier. Don’t skimp on a humidifier, get one that is the proper size for your basement.
- Make sure your downspouts distribute water at least 6 feet away from your home.
- Check the grade of your home regularly.
- Clean your gutters out often.
- Make sure your sump pump has a decent backup power supply (at least 120 volts). The power often goes out due to weather, which can happen when you get a lot of rain. Having a dead sump pump leaves your basement vulnerable to water. A commercial grade pump may be more expensive, but it is well worth the money.
- Buy a humidity meter if you have an annoying damp basement. It can help you keep an eye on the moisture in your basement.
Please call us right away on our 24/7 emergency number (952-641-3519) if you are in the Twin Cities area and have a flooded basement.